Wednesday, July 2, 2008

For Her

About two weekends ago, two miles from my house, a jogger was assaulted. Must I use the 4-letter "R" word? Yes - a female jogger, out for a run on a Sunday morning in her neighborhood, was attacked. There have been pictures circulating all over Greenville of her attacker -- the police sketch. How dare he. I went jogging tonight downtown. I try to be as safe as possible, running in heavily populated areas, but I guess there are no guarantees. Jogging brings so much joy to those of us who do it. Health. Immediate mood alteration. Energy. I ran not only for her tonight, but also for so many other reasons: so that hopefully I will stay healthy to see my grandchildren; for my dear friend who is confined to a wheelchair (but no pity parties, please!); because of the way it makes me feel inside; and so that perhaps I can finish another marathon one day. I hope she jogs again, and maybe I'll see her out on the road.

No comments: