Hi Mom - it's my 40th birthday today, but of course you already knew that. I wish you were here to celebrate - Gary and I figured that you would be 66 years old at your next birthday in September. We were reminiscing about going to see UNC v. Clemson, in Clemson, which seems like 100 years ago. Dad got me a chocolate-cake-with-buttercream-icing birthday cake, which actually had huge purple roses all over it! My favorite!
Anyway - I know that you have been watching me, looking down on me, protecting me - and, frankly, guiding me. I mean - how else do I explain the path of my life over the past 10 years? I wake up one day, and all of a sudden I'm at the St. Louis Hotel in the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans, anticipating starting law school on that Monday at LSU Law. I sat in the French Market that weekend, and looked up to the sky -- wondering how I got there. Sure - I remember the law school applications, taking the LSAT, packing up the old house and moving. But, even today the whole affair is a mystery to me. I know that New Orleans was a very special place to you - even though you only went there once. Do you know that I have a friend who actually grew up in Audubon Park? Can you remember riding the streetcar to the end of the St. Charles, and taking a picture of the Audubon Park sign? And, I really wish you could meet my NOLA friend, Jenny, who loves shopping as much as you did -- you're two peas in a pod.
I miss you so much - especially on days like today. The babies are doing so great, but I must admit that they are losing out on not having you in their lives. Madeleine Irene would have served as the perfect muse for your incredible hand-made clothing designs. Thomas Beau got all my sensitivity, which thrills me for a little boy. I know that you sent me back to South Carolina after my Louisiana adventure - I'm convinced of it. And - I know that it's not a coincidence that my first trial, that went to an actual verdict, was before a Judge from Union, S.C., your hometown. And - what I do - representing the Department of Social Services in child abuse and neglect cases - do you think I think that's a coincidence? Certainly not.... How many times did Dad have to get you out of uncomfortable confrontations with strangers, who were being too heavy handed with the discipline of their kids, in public? We've had so many happy times since you left us - I think overall I have no complaints here on my 40th birthday -- of course, except that you're not here to share it. I wonder what you have in store for me during the next 40?
1 comment:
SCARLET!!! I am bawling...not exactly how I intended to start my day. What a lovely tribute to your mother, someone I feel like I know thanks to the wonderful job you have done perserving her memory. Thanks for sharing her with us.
Now, enjoy that cruise!!!!
Post a Comment