Monday, April 28, 2008

Five Hours, Nine Minutes and Counting

At about 11:43 p.m. last night, I started getting a bit nervous about my impending birthday at midnight. Ironically, Gary and I were reminiscing last night about the show "thirtysomething," which was on TV back in the 80s (because Patricia Wettig and Ken Olin are on my fave show "Brothers and Sisters," the stars of thirtysomething, who are actually married in real life). I donned a sad puppy dog face, and said something to the effect that I'm not a thirtysomething any more -- looking for comfort from my husband. He started laughing, and said, "Well, you are for another 17 minutes, hahahahahaha." I guess I'm getting my payback, for all the AARP comments, etc., when Gary passed his birthday milestones. In looking back on my life, I have to do as the Rent characters do, and measure my life in love. Beau and Maddie came back from babysitting at the neighbors' house one night, singing "Seasons of Love," from the Rent soundtrack. They had taken the kids to the youth choir at their church, and the choir had sung the song. Both babies fell instantly in love with the song, and wanted to "get" the first line -- five-hundred-twenty-five-thousand-six-hundred-minutes. Beau got it pretty easily, but Maddie not so much. Eventually she got it. How else to measure a life? Here officially on my 40th, I feel surrounded by immense love, from those who I hold dearest.

4 comments:

Julie Vaicius said...

Happy Happy Birthday!
Best wishes for another wonderful year filled with love!

Julie

lindavaicius said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SCARLET!!

Hope you have a great day.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday, Scarster!

Scarlet said...

Just in case you were wondering -- the time stamp on the blog is wrong. I posted it at 5:09 - thus the blog title!