Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Untitled

I have spent a lot of time over the past several days thinking about Tim Russert, and why it is that seemingly the entire country is in mourning at the loss of this man. What was it about him that made him so special? This is what I loved about him. For one thing, he cherished his catholic school upbringing as much as I do. As much as he loved Sister Lucille, I loved Sister Winters and Sister Dolan. The Sisters attended my wedding, my Methodist baptism, and Sister Winters knew about Beau's birth before she died. Sister Lucille said that the bond she and Tim shared was the love of Kennedy. I love that about him. My mom loved Kennedy like Tim Russert did. He also loved politics as much as I do, and appreciated The Federalist as many do not. He loved this country, because I'd like to think that like him, he and I recognize the sheer genius of the design of the whole thing so many years ago. He also realized the dangers of our republic, and served as an additional check on the possible abuses of power. He was a man of integrity, which is so lacking in today's society. In discussing his testimony at the trial of Libby, he quoted Sister Lucille's words of wisdom so many years prior: "Tim, if you tell the truth, you only have to tell your story once." People were clearly drawn to Tim Russert. He loved big. He smiled every day. He appreciated life. He had incredible excitement about the gift of life. It's infectious, and boy is it ever needed now. What a country we would have if it were filled with Tim Russerts.

(P.S. Tim - please go talk with Hamilton and Madison about where we are today, in regard to how executive authority has evolved and the interpretation of "energy in the executive," and what they think about the federal court confirmation mess. And, if you're looking for a compatriot, I'm sure my mom would love to talk your ear off!)

No comments: