Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Have to Talk About History

Allegedly, in June of 1969, my mom woke me up around 2 a.m. one morning so I could see the moon landing. Of course, I don't remember a bit of it, but I appreciate my mom's desire in wanting me to be a part of the biggest thing ever -- really, ever ever -- to be accomplished by man. Today's news that Barack Obama is the presumptive Democratic nominee is certainly one of those remarkable, and perhaps astonishing, moments in American history, too. The babies piled in the bed with me this morning, to watch the coverage on the Today Show. I told them that this was the first time that an African American had ever been a possible president. In seeing footage of Hillary Clinton, Beau inquired why a woman had to be President. I told him that a woman never, ever had been President. Instead of being moved and reflective on such a historic day, they decided to go to another room and watch "their" shows. One day, they'll remember, though.

No comments: