I found myself blatantly lying to Maddie today. She asked me how Santa Claus gets in the house.
"How does Santa get into the house, mama?" she asked.
"Through the chimney, of course, dear," I replied.
"But, we don't have a chimney."
"Yes we do - go ask your Dad to show you the fireplace in the den." (Of course, our fireplace is not "really" a fireplace, but a makeshift "fake" one with gas logs.)
"Oh! He showed me! But - Santa's too big to get through the chimney!"
"Sometimes he has to use the front door...now go play!"
I'm sure that there are those readers out there who think I'm being too harsh on myself, calling this "lying." But - what else is it? Fortunately, Beau is not an inquisitive boy (like most men - ha!), and just accepts that Santa comes and loads him up with presents at Christmas -- why ask questions?? I wonder how old the children will be when they stop believing in Santa. Of course, I still believe..... I think my mom believed in Santa right up until her untimely passing in 1994. When I asked my mom to tell me whether there was a Santa, she said: "If you really want to know, I'll tell you." I dropped it, and never brought it up again! It warms my heart, though, that Maddie and Beau seem to "get" the real meaning of Christmas. Maddie has been singing an adorable song about Jesus -
Happy Birthday, Jesus
I'm so glad it's Christmas
All the stockings and bells
Make the holiday swell,
But the real gift is you!
Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment