Saturday, November 24, 2007

Still Giving Thanks

What an emotional few days for me. On Wednesday, Gary and I attended the funeral for his beloved Aunt Peggy, the matriarch of his mom's side of the family and Gary's surrogate mom. She was in her 80s, and very ill, but still the shock of losing her is heartbreaking. We released balloons at the graveside. This is a tradition that started many years ago with my mom's mom. If you have never released balloons at the end of a funeral, I would highly suggest it - it's a beautiful symbol of releasing the loved one to heaven. (Of course - my NOLA friends really know how it's done, with Jazz funerals!)

I spent Thanksgiving Day with my Asheville family in Asheville, which was fabulous. We went to the Inn that catered my wedding back in 1996. The food was delish, the company was wonderful, and there were no plates to clean up after the big event. The kids had a great time with their cousins, as you can see in the enclosed pics.



Friday came, as did the great anticipation for the LSU Tiger game. Arkansas was really a given, right? I mean - no need to get out the rally caps and sweat that one out! People who don't follow SEC football don't understand how "serious" the whole thing is. My Dad called and wondered if I was going to put the car flags in the paper, for sale. NEVER! In fact - I think I'll put both the flags on the car today and drive around GVL. Why do we get so wrapped up in all this? I think the answer is the natural euphoria you feel when your team wins - it makes you feel good physically. And, it's painful when they lose.

But, I'm still giving thanks!

2 comments:

Julie Vaicius said...

Please save that gorgeous Maddie dress for Lucy!

Scarlet said...

You got it!