Just posted my last set of grades for Lander University -- probably forever. I can't believe I have been teaching at Lander for the past seven years - how is that possible? I did well at graduation yesterday - no tears......except at the end when a dear student presented to me a very special gift. As an avid, voracious, obsessed, and consumed LSU Tiger fan (have I ever mentioned that??), I have given my students a hard time if they DARE to wear garb with other SEC teams on it, in class. What I have endured is unthinkable -- Alabama hats, Georgia sweatshirts, and of course the barrage of South Carolina and Clemson attire. However, my favorite SEC moment occurred when a female student came into my classroom wearing the biggest Florida Gator earrings I have ever seen. The earrings were the size of silver dollars, with the Gator in the center, with polka-dots in the hideous color combo of royal blue and orange. The more annoyed I appeared, the more the student was certain to wear the earrings to class! She graduated yesterday, and told me that she had something for me in her car -- as I waited outside the arena, I honestly couldn't imagine what she had for me. She presented to me the LSU version of her earrings:

Honestly, I can't get through this post without the tears again. It sounds so cliche, but I know how Sir felt, sitting at his desk reading the note from his students, and admiring his pewter stein. I will undoubtedly wear my earrings with great pride.
No comments:
Post a Comment