Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Truly Terrific Kid!

Madeleine Irene was named a "Terrific Kid" by her teacher for the Fourth Quarter of the school year. Gary and I attended the ceremony this week - truly a special day for the Moore Family. See, Brother Beau has been named "Terrific Kid" every year since kindergarten, but this was Maddie's first selection in her three years of elementary school. And, she really worked at it -- if I'm being honest about it, some of the characteristics don't come so naturally to my spirited, strong-willed, talkative, brilliant daughter. When I was tucking her in that night, I made a big fuss about the fact that I was tucking in a "Terrific Kid," and how proud I was of her accomplishment -- how hard she had worked to achieve it.

"Mom," she said. "I don't like being a Terrific Kid."
"Why, honey?" I asked.
"I just think Terrific Kid is something that makes the kids who don't get picked, feel bad about themselves."
"That's not true, honey," I said.
"Yes it is. The kids who didn't get picked walked around today not feeling like they are terrific kids, too."

At this point, what do I tell my daughter? That she's wrong, and that she worked hard to achieve it, and life is sometimes about being picked or not being picked. Or, do I affirm her insightful revelation that life is full of arbitrary judgment and decision.

"Are you going to wear your Terrific Kid t-shirt to the beach this summer?" I asked.
"Oh yeah! Night mom."

What a truly terrific kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too precious! I am so proud of Maddie and how much she has grown this year! She is quite the young lady and I am sad there are no more litte Moores coming my way! Love, Mrs. Schemm

Scarlet said...

Maddie said that a person that can say "good job" to the person who got terrific kid, is a terrific kid, too! And, even if you don't get picked, and get a terrific kid award, doesn't mean that you're not a terrific kid!

(Mom says....how lucky was Maddie to have such an incredible teacher who taught her incredible life lessons!)