Thursday, April 28, 2011
With Only Eight Years To Go......
For some reason that I can't really explain, I have been thinking about my mom, intensely, on my past several birthdays. The truth of the matter is that since almost 17 years have passed since her death, I don't really think about her that much anymore -- at least, the pain has long subsided and the thoughts I have of her are passing, yet warm, whenever something reminds me of her. However, I couldn't stop thinking of her today, realizing that when she turned my age, she would only live eight more years. That's clearly not enough time. There is no reason to play the - "well, I wonder what she would have done if she had known that she would die at 51" game, because she already lived her life fully. I think my realization of this fact serves a vital purpose in my life -- to remind me that life is fleeting and temporary, and we simply cannot live our lives as though we are going to go on forever. And, I am firmly convinced that "happiness" is a choice -- that regardless of our life circumstances, we can either choose to be happy or sad in our daily lives. Right before my mom died, she gave special people in her life beautiful angel pins. I recall her telling one of the pin recipients, who notoriously lived her life in doom and gloom despite financial wealth and security, that her wish for her friend's life was that she wake up every morning with a smile on her face, happy. That's what I wish for myself, and my dear friends and loved ones. I want to have "George Bailey" happiness - that despite all he faced at the end of the movie, he was so thrilled to be alive with his loved ones. Happy Birthday to me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Happy Birthday, and what a lovely post that reminds us that happiness is a choice. I hope that your day was filled with belly laughs and you will continue to live life with love and purpose!
Beautiful! I wish I could have known your mama....though I certainly feel like I do.
Post a Comment