For anyone out there who truly knows me, and my heart, they will know that not all my candidates won last night. But, here is what I am taking away from Election 2010:
- My children were absolutely glued to the TV set watching the returns -- didn't want to go to sleep. And, they participated in the voting process at their school. In the South Carolina gubernatorial race, each child voted for a different candidate, and we had a meaningful opportunity to talk about the process and the issues. One child ended up regretting their vote, so I emphasized the importance of getting the facts before they vote. They got it, and they won't forget it.
- South Carolina elected a woman as its leader for the first time in history - an event that my daughter and I watched with keen interest. I told her she could be the governor one day, to which she replied, "Governor? You mean President, Mom!" She said she would let me ride in Air Force One, so I'm counting on that in 28 years.
- South Carolina voters cast 356,969 votes for Alvin Greene, an African-American political novice, in the U.S. Senate race. Wow.
- Boy, those brownies were delicious!
- I'm not too worried about the overall results because as the great political science legend Dr. Bill Sabo taught me many, many years ago, most people don't care about politics most of the time. And, he's right.
No comments:
Post a Comment