Sunday, March 16, 2008
TMI
Well - my "big" birthday is getting to be mere days away now, and the reminders seem to be everywhere. I got a call last week from my niece in Asheville, who happens to work for a mammography center. Because I consider myself a walking cancer risk (because of mom, and now very dear family members affected), I have been having mammograms since I was 30 years old -- and had my first screening at her office. She called me -- no, not to check on us, shoot the breeze, inquire about the children, etc. -- to tell me that the computer at her center had automatically generated a letter based on my age, to tell me that the American Cancer Society recommends annual screening for women aged 40 and over. I told her I knew exactly why she was calling -- because of my birthday. She laughed, of course. Not to get on my soapbox, but women should be having much better screening than a totally inadequate mammogram, way before their 40th birthday! So - pah on the so-called recommendations! On a much lighter note, I have been dropping reminders at my jobs that they only have so much time to plan my surprise 40th birthday! Ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment