Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Slim-Fast Week 11

I got an e-mail tonight with this title. Just seeing this title, it tells me a few things: (A) that about 11 weeks ago, I signed up for the online Slim-Fast diet plan with all the good intentions of finally losing my extra weight; (B) that I have squandered the past 11 weeks, when I could have been losing weight and getting ready for summer; and (C) that I have probably gained weight over the past almost three (3) months, instead of lost. Alas... On a positive note, I am reading a book entitled "The Omnivore's Dilemma," by Michael Pollan, an Aunt Julie recommendation. After reading only the first several chapters, I am convinced that I want to turn vegan. I was speaking to a girlfriend tonight on the phone, and she said that her sister turned vegan after reading a particular book -- it may be the Pollan book. Essentially, the book is all about how our food is created, from scratch, and it's an eye-opener. If I could summarize what I've read so far, in a sentence, it would be something like... How our food is created is unnatural and unhealthy, and is likely contributing to the ecological and physiological detriment of the planet and its inhabitants, all for personal monetary gain. Check it out if you get a chance.

No comments: