Sunday, September 2, 2018

Hello From the Other Side


About eight months ago, I posted on my blog about my 50-pound weight loss in 2017.  The response that I got was overwhelming - so many dear friends and family praising and encouraging me, and so many women reaching out to me wanting my diet plan.  I had no idea how much a significant weight loss would change my life overall.  The weight loss was triggered by a person who I cared for deeply hurting my feelings -- actually breaking my heart, if I'm honest about it.  I was the subject of this person's pity -- which is something that nobody wants to feel.  Pitying someone is looking down on someone - there is no way to sugar coat this.  I had to make a change in my life, so I did.

On a related matter, I have an autoimmune disorder called Myositis.  It's a very rare disease in which your body erroneously attacks healthy muscle tissue.  When I was diagnosed, I had significant muscle damage, and was debilitated in my arms and legs.  That was March, 2013.  I was fortunate that the medications worked on me, however my Rheumatologist counseled me about my diet on our first appointment.  The way I eat today is the way that she wanted me to eat to assist in my treatment for my disease.  And, I'm now in remission, don't take any medications, and my Rheumatologist  has discharged me.  My other physicians are pretty shocked that I was able to "get rid of" my Rhemy, which is apparently difficult to do -- and I was prepared that I would be on medications possibly for the rest of my life.

I feel great on a daily basis with my health, and I have been able to maintain my weight loss (within about 3 pounds) for an 8-month period.  I am not going back, ever.  Now that I have all the "junk" out of my system, I don't crave it anymore.  It was tough and took about 6 months for me to get the cravings for Chick-Fila minis out of my system (and McDonald's french fries, and cupcakes, and Krispy Kreme, and smothered nachos - ha!).  I'm convinced that so many of our physical ailments are caused by the foods we eat, and our weight.  It is so hard to get started and stay motivated - but as I said before I'm actually thankful for the hurt that caused the weight loss.  It kept me going, and I feel great.

No comments: