Monday, January 1, 2018

49 pounds gone, and counting......



Happy New Year to all!  2017 brought many changes to my life -- but one of the most significant changes is that I have lost 49 pounds as of today - January 1, 2018.  On May 23, 2017, a person in my life hurt my feelings so badly that it devastated me.  I felt terrible, rejected, depressed, and unattractive.  Even if my dear friends would say - "You're beautiful, Scarlet," I didn't believe them and didn't feel like I was at my best at the weight I was on that date in May.  A few days later, I went to the doctor and the nurse blurted out my actual weight - I thought she got my chart mixed-up with a grown man's chart, due to the HUGE number.  It was like a punch to the gut - but undoubtedly it was a wake-up call.  I thought to myself- I now understand why this person has rejected me, however I would never want my daughter to have such thoughts as this.

Of course I started to notice that my clothes didn't fit right, due to the weight gain.  However, I was in denial about how much I needed to lose.  I was determined, and started a weight-loss program that I did successfully in 2004.  And, I was very strict - I refused to cheat whatsoever, recalling the person's hurtful words every time I even considered cheating on my diet.  I packed a lunch every day - only eating out on rare occasions.  I didn't even cheat when I went to NYC with my kids - despite my daughter demanding that I cheat since we were in NYC after all.  "Nope - not cheating," I replied to her.  All my work associates became accustomed to my diet - even teasing me (lovingly) about taking my special Diet Rite soda to lunches out -- the only soda that has no caffeine nor sodium.

The bathing suit picture was taken on or about December 21, 2017 - so it's recent.  I'm a bit surprised by how disciplined I have been this year.  But, it has made me realize that some of our greatest accomplishments in life come out of adversity.  Sometimes we need trauma to push us into action to make positive changes.  We get complacent and can be in denial about where we are in our lives.  Even though 2017 has brought much pain to my life, I'm actually thankful for the May 23 incident.  All of us face adversity in our lives - but maybe the key is to accept adversity and try to determine how God intends to use it to effect positive changes in our lives.

4 comments:

Karen Alton said...

Love it!!! Thank you Professor!!! You are my indpiration!! BTW You look fabulous!!!

Scarlet said...

Thank you dear!!

Deanene said...

Scarlet, this is inspiration for me! Thanks for sharing.

Scarlet said...

Thank you dear - have a wonderful New Year!