How I love the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater! I took tissues to the performance today at New York's gorgeous City Center in anticipation that I would be reduced to tears by the performance of Mr. Ailey's masterpiece, Revelations. I first saw the piece in around 1988, when I covered the dance company's appearance for my college newspaper. To date, I have lost count of the number of times I have seen it performed live and on video. I fell in love with Revelations all those years ago. It's the soundtrack of glorious spirituals. Then, the movement of perfect dancer bodies. Then, the message of the piece. As one of the Ailey dancers put it today at the Q & A after the show, Revelations makes you want to go out and be a better person. I had never thought about it like that, but that's exactly correct. I cried many tears today - couldn't help it. The power of the performance overwhelmed me and the tears flowed.
The performance started, though, with a 2015 piece called "Exodus" -- a haunting hip hop number with original upbeat house music that tells the story of a young man being shot in the street (at least that's my interpretation), with angels and mourners surrounding him. You can't take your eyes off this piece. At the Q & A, the dancers explained that the piece was originally choreographed by a son who was grieving the death of his Mother. However, the piece was changed to mirror current events in our community. The young man in the dance was Michael Brown to me, or the Emmanuel 9, or Walter Scott. Or, tragically these days so many others who are taken by violence way too soon. The choreography was amazing - intricate hip hop choreography with interludes of slow, grieving movements to illustrate the tragedy of the situation. You may find other meaning and symbolism in the piece - that's the beauty of Ailey's work. At the end, the dancers are dressed in white -- symbolic of angels in heaven. Amazing.
The piece "After the Rain" was also amazing. A duet of two of the most beautiful dancers I have ever seen, with beautiful bodies and technique, this was purely a love story. The female wore a thin pink tank leotard, and that was it. I think it's safe to say she doesn't eat many cupcakes at Magnolia Bakery. She looked perfect with her perfect muscles and tone. And, her partner - wow. Again - couldn't take my eyes off the performance.
If you have never seen Revelations, you simply must. When the audience heard the opening notes of the first song, "I Been 'buked," you would have thought that the Beatles were in the house. Thunderous applause and cheers greeted the dancers before they even appeared onstage. Revelations is a series of dances to 10 songs - religious spirituals - and each song was greeted by the same reaction of the audience, including me. What a magical afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment