On Friday, July 13, 2007, Gary and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. We celebrated by watching our wedding video with the babies. (No worries - Gary, the sports fanatic, hasn't pulled a "Raymond" yet, and taped over it...) The kids seemed somewhat interested in the video, but mostly Maddie wanted the video to hurry up and end so she could watch Sesame Street, and Beau wanted to get back to Lego Star Wars on Playstation. Alas.... We had big plans to celebrate on Saturday night, but Beau, Maddie and I got sick with some type of terrible stomach "flu", or whatever it was. We had a long night on Saturday night, and we rested most of today.
How our lives have changed in 11 years - so much! We have so much to be thankful for. There is a tragic story that has been unfolding in Greenville for about a week. A baby 3 year-old girl came to Greenville with her family, to visit an aunt and uncle for July 4. They decided to go to the zoo. In a freak accident, a 13' tree branch fell on her as she was looking at the lemur cage, and she was in the ICU for a week. She died on Friday. I lift her family up in my prayers!
On a much lighter note, Madeleine Irene is recently reminding me of Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" - truly. Let me tell you about an exchange we had today. She has been getting sick all night Saturday, and Sunday morning, so I didn't think it was the best idea for her to eat anything mid-day Sunday. She wanted some plain spaghetti like Beau was eating, so I finally caved in and got her some. I asked her - wouldn't she like a plain baked potato instead? NO! So - I got her some spaghetti, in her red bowl (because heaven forbid I should bring her food in anything other than her favorite red bowl), and brought it to her in the living room. She gave me a look a la Meryl, as though to say, "can't you see that this is not acceptable to me?" Finally, after several minutes of guessing, I figured out that she wanted a TV tray like Beau had. So, I go scouring through the house, find one, clear it off, and bring it to the Princess. I put the bowl in front of her, and her fresh water with just the right amount of ice in it, in her special cup, and she crosses her arms and looks at me. She announces, "I want to go get a baked potato." She jumps up, not touching her food, gets her shoes on and heads for the car. Getting peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for her entails about as much drama - I have to toast the bread to just the right crispness, and then put peanut butter on one side of the bread, and jelly on the other -- never touching the two. Then, I have to cut off the edges of the bread, carefully, so it makes a perfect square. Secretly, I love that she's so assertive, spirited, and knows what she wants, because I think that will serve her well in life. However, my mom used to say something so true when people asked her why she didn't have more kids -- because she could only wait on one at a time! I find myself saying that to the babies on a daily basis, and I find that I can only wait on one child at a time!
Everybody have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment