Sunday, January 4, 2009

Goodbye, Debit Card!

I think my first resolution for the new year is to cut up my debit card. It has been compromised - I noticed several charges this month, equalling $250.00, for websites that I hadn't authorized. I start calling the customer service numbers, and lo and behold they are adult websites. Someone got my debit card information and has been having some fun. Ick. I contacted my bank, and apparently this problem is all over the place. I mean - we now give our debit cards over to everyone - restaurants, shops, drive-thrus, etc. It could be anyone from anywhere. I have gotten refunds on all the charges, but the question remains whether I should contact the police and make a formal report. I feel certain with such high-tech tracking as exists today that they could figure out who the bad guy or girl is by the IP address.

The thing is that even though it's a class-A hassle (had to cancel my card and will begin the arduous process of contacting the millions of accounts that I have on auto-pay, when I receive my replacement card), I think it might be a good thing not having a debit card. I have taken all my credit cards out of my wallet, so for the past few days I have had nothing but cash. And, when it's gone, it's gone. The experience has shown me how easy it is to just whip out the card and spend money everywhere - the ease of access. I can tell you that even if I don't say goodbye forever to the debit card, I won't be using it except at the gas station and the ATM. No more handing it over to strangers all over the place.

4 comments:

lindavaicius said...

Scarlet, thats an excellent point, I am not a big fan of online shopping but I can't say that I have never done it, only a few times though. Good for you I just may join you in your cash only new year! I know working in a florist that on phone orders the costomers tell you their credit card # over the phone, although, we have to call a manager and have them dispose of it right away, however all you need is a dishonest person to write down the numbers before calling the manager. Although, there are cameras on us at all times. Just makes you wonder, thanks for bringing it up. Also what is an Ip address?

Scarlet said...

An IP address is basically the specific internet address of your location - it's like a 10-digit number that identifies your internet location.

Jennifer said...

I hate that happened to you!!

The Moores plus 4 said...

Um...don't you think you should make a police report, since you are sort of in the police/crime business?

Wow, up until now I didn't know anyone who actually had it happen to them - now I do and you are right, I give my deit card to EVERYONE. I'm thinking cash is king.